Australia’s grandest rural colonial estate

Set in 7 hectares of parklands on the banks of the South Esk River, this magnificent three-storey Georgian house has servants’ quarters, a heritage walled garden, several farm buildings and a rare avenue of elms.

It was built in 1838 as an extraordinary statement of achievement for wealthy wool grower and merchant, James Cox, who was born in Wiltshire, England.

Although built with convict labor, Cox was known to treat his convicts well and later played a major role in the abolishment of convict labor and the end of transportation.

Entry to Clarendon Estate includes the gardens; Australian Fly Fishing Museum with kids’ fish feeding pool and riverside access for anglers and picnickers; Clarendon Fashion Collection with precious gowns from the 1830’s to 1960’s; and the Norfolk Plains Heritage Centre, offering photo collections together with family history records and advice.